Monday, September 20, 2010

Sweet Home Chicago

Well, I'm under the week mark for when I'm leaving the U.S. While reflecting on my time spent in Chicago, as well as on the title of this blog, I realized that the reason I originally came to Chicago was for education - at Loyola University Chicago. And Chicago felt foreign to me at the time. A native of the east coast, I didn't understand why people in the midwest were so friendly. It seemed ingenuine, and sometimes suspicious. Over the last six years, I've learned to adjust and even appreciate the upbeat midwestern attitude. I've especially learned to love the city I live in, so I've decided to do a tribute to the city...
The Top 5 Things I'll Miss About Chicago.

5. American Sports

I'm no sports buff, but I enjoy a hot dog and some beers at Wrigley Field like any true North-sider. I also have a recently-developed appreciation for American football. Large men in lots of padding knocking each other around sounds really stupid, but I don't know what I'll do with my Monday nights without that ridiculous Fox football robot.

4. Nightlife

Chicago really loves to drink. There are probably more bars in Chicago than there are grocery stores. Probably not something to brag about, but it does make for some long, fun-filled nights. From the historic jazz club (and Al Capone's old haunt) The Green Mill to always-intoxiated Wrigleyville to dancing at downtown clubs, Chicago has a diverse and lively nightlife that will fit anyone's personality. I had so many pictures to choose from here, but this won one because I love group dancing. And I have a feeling that's not going to happen in France.

3. Free stuff

Like any city, Chicago is expensive. BUT, Chicago has a ton of free stuff - you don't even have to look that hard. There are tons of festivals, especially in the summer. All the parks there have contributed to earning Chicago the nickname of the "Green City" (even though they don't have recycling pick-up in most wards - that gripe would go on a different list). Millenium Park in particular is a great place to check out free music and dance performances. You can pack a picnic and lounge on the enormous lawn, equipped with speakers seemingly hanging from the sky. Sound cool? It is. If you live in Chicago and haven't done this, shame on you.



2. Restauraunts/Food
Much like the nightlife, Chicago's food options are diverse. There are Chicago favorites like Chicago dogs and deep dish pizza (pictured here), family-owned BYOB places like Andalous Moroccan (one of my personal favorites), and truly world class dining (TRU, Alinea, Custom House, lots of steakhouses...). You can eat Thai, Indian, Ehtiopian, Italian, French, Mexican, Argentinian, Brazilian, Turkish, Lebonese, Vietnamese, and even American food. You probably don't even have to go more than 5 miles to get to any of these.

1. Lake Michigan

Swimming in it, sailing on it, flirting with skin cancer while lying beside it: Anyway you slice it, I love Lake Michigan. Yeah, Chicago is great for all of the reasons I listed above, but then put all that next to over 13 miles of beach front? It doesn't get much better. While writing this, I'm having a hard time figuring out why I decided to leave. It's something most take for granted, but Chicago beaches are public and free. Also, there are no jellyfish or sharks. I love you, Atlantic Ocean, but I'm just sayin'.

7 comments:

  1. All the more to appreciate when you get back!

    Also - don't forget the seaweed difference. I assume Chicago's portion of Lake Michigan has a lot less seaweed than Long Island Sound.

    You'll have to make it to a "rest of the world" football game somewhere while you're out there. I bet you'll have a lot of fun with that. Good luck with these last few days my wonderful sister! I will miss you, but I am so, SO excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss you while you're away, Amanda! I would definitely suggest attending a Lyon soccer match while you're in France, if possible. Lyon play Benfica (from Portugal) at home on October 20 in the European Champions League. That would be a great match for a group outing if others are interested. There's also a pretty decent team in Basel if you travel to Switzerland.

    Anyway, have fun! We'll have to figure out the Skype thing soon, too, so we can chat and introduce you to the new family member in February. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! How exciting that you are only a few days from leaving!

    A few pieces of advice for your trip:

    1) Savez-vous où la bibliothèque est?
    2) Always travel first class.
    3) If it looks good, eat it.
    4) Woman in France live to an average of 84.1 years old. Women in the USA only make it 80.8 on average. I'm not trying to get you to stay there, I'm just pointing out that coming back is like giving up three years of your life.
    5) Know that we're all thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I miss that second city. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I can still feel the glow of the street lights and hear the hustle of the crowds. It's a grand place.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be SO excited, Amanda! Your blog is wonderful!

    So I'll be following it as a French Poodle, okay?

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amanda!!

    Hope you are having a great time there already. I am sure you are fitting in.

    I am hopelessly biased, but I am glad you came to love Chicago. You've always got a boat to call home, too... ;)

    Looking forward to more posts from you... keep us updated!

    BIG hugs

    Scott

    ReplyDelete