Sunday, January 2, 2011

There and Back Again / Hello 2011

After a two week break, teachers and students will make their bittersweet return to the classroom tomorrow. While this moment is always a bit sad, it is a cloud with a silver lining. After all, vacations can't last forever, or else they stop becoming vacations. I am happy to get back into a routine and see familiar faces.

My last post was about hitting a wall here in France. Without family, my closest friends, and a home that feels like mine, it gets tough. But taking a break from France to travel to Budapest, Vienna, and Prague was a great reminder of how much I do really love life here in the hexagon.

To recap the travels:

Budapest - The people here were very friendly and helpful. Beer was cheap, the boulevards were wide, buildings were old, and the castles were majestic. Highlights here included Frank Zappa Cafe, which had great food and a very cool, musically inspired ambiance. Also, a Gustav Klimt exhibit at the Arts Museum was particularly good.

Vienna - Vienna impressed us from the moment we got there. Because we only stayed one night, we stuck to the main center of the city, where we had a glass or prosecco at the original Julius Meinl. We also saw the most enchanting Christmas market I've ever been to (complete with brass band playing carols). Vienna was very charming and sophisticated, and had some bomb chocolate cake.

Prague - Having been to Prague before, I felt a little bit like I knew what I was getting into. While some things were familiar, Prague held lots of great surprises. The arts district is paticularly cute in Prague, and the castle will never fail to impress. Memorable moments include slamming back Slovakian liquor with locals, and our very last night, during which we stayed out all night at a dance club and left at 7:30am -sans shuteye- for our 9:30 flight.

Coming back to France was relieving. I guess you know you're getting old when just one week of travel gets you tuckered out. After a few days of rest chez moi, it was time to celebrate the New Year. Two friends of mine from Grenoble came to stay with me, and after a yummy dinner we headed out with some French friends to Chamonix, a ski resort town not too far from where I live. Good company, raclette (traditional dish of Savoie, including meat/cheese/potatoes), champagne, snow topped mountains, not to mention a fire twirler plus a ton of people in Chamonix center - it doesn't get too much better than that.




And finally, some reflections on the year before and ahead...(sorry in advance for the US slant).

After looking at a photo essay that recapped 2010, I was reminded very poignantly that while I am lucky, our world is full of tragedy, both natural and human-made. The earthquake in Haiti, floods, wars, the BP oil spill, lay-offs, and political unrest have pierced our lives. I nearly cried mulitple times while scrolling through the pictures. It's difficult to recall what -if anything- is good about that state of humanity.

But many good things have happened too - Don't Ask, Don't Tell has just been reversed (as was the same-sex marriage ban in California), healthcare reform passed, and the US is reducing the number of foreign troops as the end of the Iraq war becomes official.

We will never be able to live in a global world free from tragedy and grief, but I do believe the world would be better with more peace and respect in our individual lives - which you can create simply by starting with your neighbor, your lover, or your friend. What is in your vision of a better 2011? Once you define it, you can embody it - and as Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Best wishes to everyone for 2011, especially the friends and family reading this blog! :)

5 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, Amanda. You have seen so much in person and have read even more. I have a lot of pride in you for even thinking about these issues.

    Wynton Marsalis was being interviewed on television last night and said something interesting: the United States has very little in the way of self-identity, that "if only everyone knew who Duke Ellington and Walt Whitman were," we would have a collective identity as Americans.

    I think that what he said is at the center of a lot of American problems right now. We are too fractioned as a country to appreciate what we have in common. U.S. history is being re-written in erroneous 4th grade textbooks. And take the DREAM act, for example; as Jim said, "a fragile ego is easily threatened."

    So I guess my vision for 2011 would be that Americans find more in common with one another and quit seeing their neighbors as "Repubicans or Democrats," "liberals or conservatives," "pro-life or pro-choice," and find the common cultural watershed that defines our national identity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, Mom. Finding common ground is definitely always important, especially in an increasingly globalized world. And if we can't even do it as Americans, there isn't much hope for us collectively being able to do it across two different oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,
    I am glad to see it seems that you are doing well. It is really nice to be able to check into your blog and feel a glimpse of what you are up to. I am still on a small break from grad school, but am busy writing away on some tedious thesis work.
    Waterford is cold and unchanged. Wanted to let you know I was thinking of you.

    Best wishes for the New Year :)


    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the TV on (on mute) this afternoon and happened to look up while The Princess Diaries was on. Since I had it on mute, I didn't hear the cheesey music that I'm sure was playing, but just saw the text of something they had the girl's dad write to her and it went like this: "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. From now on you'll be traveling the road between who you think you are and who you can be. The key is to allow yourself to make the journey" (I looked it up). I thought you might like that one. I thought it was pretty good. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, Mom, if you read this - I just read your comment here and I think that is a really interesting point. I just watched the State of the Union Address and it seems President Obama would agree with you as well.

    Amanda, I just read your post. You know I love that quote by Ghandi (and your summarizing philosophy) very much, so here's another one for you - as my favorite yoga instructer says at the end of every class - "world peace is possible. it happens one heart at a time. you are all living examples. namaste."

    ReplyDelete